I go through phases when it comes to updating our home. Sometimes, it’s all I can think (obsess) about and other times, I’m so busy and tired that it’s the last thing I want to think about . But, recently, with the temperatures dropping, I have no desire to venture too far from home. Instead, I’d prefer to turn my attention toward giving certain rooms a facelift especially before spring arrives when all I’ll want to do is be outdoors. One of the rooms I’d love to switch up a bit is our living room. While I’m so glad I chose simple, neutral pieces in terms of my couch, chairs and ottoman, I like to add punches of color with fun throw pillows, a framed print, and of course, a vibrant floral arrangement. Here are some contemporary pieces that I’ve recently had my eye on to balance out our classic furniture and give our living room a refresh for the new year.
- Brass Ring Table Lamp: I love this modern lamp which would look perfect on our console table which is the first thing our visitors see when they enter our home. It makes quite the statement with it’s bold yet minimalist design.
- Ficus Plant: I recently purchased an indoor plant from Ikea and I’ve had good luck with it so far (the key is to not over water it) so I’d like to branch out and try another one. Since our living room gets a ton of sun, I think this ficus plant would definitely thrive.
- Framed Art: This bright and edgy piece would be ideal on the large wall in our living room. While I appreciate traditional pieces, I’ve always been drawn to contemporary alternatives such as this one. It’s unique and unexpected.
- Rattan Chair: I would love to replace our current accent chairs with something a bit less formal and stiff and these rattan ones would be ideal. They would offset our classic console table perfectly. I’d like one on each side to create a crisp and fresh entryway.
- Orange Vase: I have a large orange accent pillow on our couch so this vase would be the perfect compliment. I would style it with white flowers such as tulips, roses or hydrangeas.
- Palm Print Pillow: I’ve been coveting this palm print pillow for ages so I think it’s time to just go for it. It would look so chic coupled with that orange pillow and bring some much needed life to our off-white couch.
- Decorative Bowl: I have several decorative bowls I’ve received as gifts and I use them all the time! They’re great as a centerpiece, on our coffee table or console table. They’re functional and stylish so you can never go wrong.
- Seagrass Rug: I love the durability and versatility of this rug. While I do love our current rug, it’s off-white and my kids run through the living room en route to the kitchen or den so maintaining it has been a challenge. This one is kid friendly but still looks polished.
Shop The Look: