The temps may have taken a major dip over the weekend, but ever since Hilton Head, I’ve been in full on spring mode. Even though I can’t wear my favorite denim shorts just yet (I was really sad to put them away after our trip), there are several spring staples that I can begin to incorporate into my everyday style even if it’s currently frigid out. As you know, transitioning seasons is all about layering so here’s a round-up of my go-to pieces that can be easily mixed and matched to create lots of different looks. And the great news is that all of the above are under $50 so now is definitely the time to stock up!
- Denim Jacket: I can’t believe I waited until last spring to finally invest in a denim jacket! I scored mine at the Gap and I absolutely love the wash and the fit (the wash I own is a bit lighter). I wear it from April through October so it was certainly worth the money. My favorite way to style it is with white jeans, black jeans, these chinos, and thrown over all my summer dresses. I’m not huge into the jean on jean look unless it’s a chambray top paired with dark denim. But, some people can carry it off so if you’re one of them, then feel free to pair it with jeans too!
- Striped Tee: You can never have enough striped tees in your closet! They’re crisp, classic and perpetually chic. You can dress them up or thrown them over a bathing suit. So versatile and timeless and a staple you will reach for all the time!
- Canvas Jacket: This is another favorite staple of mine. I scooped up my version at Old Navy a few years back and it’s on major rotation especially during the spring and fall. I love all the pockets (#momlife) and the cinched waist which gives it a flattering and feminine look.
- Girlfriend Chinos: I meant to buy these last season when I spotted them at the Gap but never got around to it. So, when I was shopping for our trip, I made a beeline to the Gap when I discovered they were on sale. My only regret is not purchasing them in every color! They’re insanely comfortable and soft and I love this relaxed, preppy look. I paired them with slip on sneakers and button down tops in Hilton Head but I think they would also look cute paired with my favorite booties, a simple tee and a denim jacket. For night, I would style them with a black silk blouse, these strappy sandals and a fun leopard clutch.
- Linen Blend Scarf: My neck is always cold so even during the summer, I like to throw a scarf in my bag as an added layer whether it’s for evenings at the beach or sitting in the stands at my boys’ baseball games. As much as I love a vibrant print, a solid scarf makes so much more sense because it will effortlessly pair with everything. This version is only $35 and comes in ten colors! I especially love this bright orange option which is a fun way to break up an all neutral look.
- Slip On Sneakers: I pretty much live in my Steve Madden slip on sneakers once the weather allows me to ditch the socks and boots. I bought them in gray which I think are the ideal shade because they pair perfectly with everything. If you’re a mom, you definitely need these in your life!! Trust me!
- Frayed Hem Jeans: I’m loving this trend for spring whether styled with backless loafers, ballet flats, or ankle boots. Of course the pair I’m lusting after is a tad on the expensive side so I also have my eye on this budget friendly alternative which are just a fraction of the cost of the splurge pair.
- Reversible Tote: This tote is my absolute favorite everyday bag. It’s the ideal size, I love the choice between cognac or black, the inside wristlet (which I use as a cosmetic bag), and the easy magnetic closure. I’m not worried about it getting ruined at the baseball field, the park, or when I’m running errands. It’s also the perfect travel bag. You can fit all your carry on essentials into it and not stress about it getting scratched up going through security. I always recommend this tote as a gift too. Ideal for the holidays, a birthday or Mother’s Day!